ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Monday, August 02, 2010

Anne Rice: Today I quit being a Christian


For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.
Those are the words of the writer Anne Rice. She has left the Catholic Church. Her reason is because she could not stand by and just watch as the bishops spent parishioners' hard-earned money to defeat the civil rights of lesbians, bisexuals, and gay men in secular society.
... When that broke in the news, I felt an intense pressure. And I am a person who grew up with the saying that all that is needed for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing, and I believe that statement.
Evil? Too strong a word? No. It is evil. It is the evil of George Wallace ... the evil of Adolph Hitler. If they had their way, we would be burning like witches.

Want to read the story? Go here.

Bishops, beware ... drop drop drop drop that becomes a tidal wave.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!

3 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger Cirze said...

Thanks for reporting this!

I met and spoke for a few moments with Anne over a decade ago, and I asked her how she stayed in the Church with all its resident evils.

She laughed then and said that voices like hers would make a difference for change.

We are just finding out how little change there will ever be in that Church.

And for what reasons.

Again, my thanks for your spot-on reporting.

May I blogroll you?

S

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed Catholic for almost ten years after I first wanted to walk away---hoping my voice from within mattered. When a group of little old ladies asked me to beg the priest to replace the removed kneeler to their pew and he told me that they just "need to get with the program and stand up" I knew I was done. Female voices are not heard.

And then, the words I get weekly in an email sig line say the rest:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity.

With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things,

but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”
Steven Weinberg

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Dear Suzan, do please blogroll us, and we'll return the favour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home