ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Health - Snoring Is Hard Work


OK, I know I'm not gonna win friends and influence people with this one. At least not anyone who lives with snorers. But I'm dedicating this to the two wonderful people in my life who snore like they were cutting a goddamn forest down. You know who you are. Consider getting me sound-killing ear protection for Xmas. Or, whatthehell, maybe not. I'll still love y'all anyway.

The good news: Snorers burn more calories, says Auntie Beeb.
The extra calories consumed are the same as a vigorous 30-minute workout in the gym.
Well, isn't that special, y'all.

There is a downside, however. Heavy snoring is usually associated with sleep apnea:
Sleep apnoea, in which the airways are partially or completely obstructed during sleep, stops the person getting a good night's rest, making them very sleepy during the day.

It has also been linked to a greater risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems.
Well, that's not good.

A new year is almost upon us, toots. What are y'all doing to ensure you get over this sleep apnea business? For one thing we could all stand to lose a little of the old avoirdupois, yes? This means you'll have to make up for that 30-minute gym workout you've been getting in your sleep with a real honest-to-doodah 30-minute gym workout while you're awake.

Also, teh diet. I'm getting my MRI sometime this week, hopefully, which means we can meet with the ME and the surgeon in a week at most, and schedule the surgery, probably for March. After that, we can all limp to the gym together (well, gimme a little time to get the staples out of the old gam and be pronounced fit for human company). Is it a deal? Am I hearing agreement heah?

Looking forward to regular weekend hikes again by damn!

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!

6 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger One Fly said...

I've been told a number of times that I snore. I'm certain they are lying to me.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Oh, sure. ;^) Actually, as long as it doesn't shatter the windows, snoring can be very comforting ... to some of us, anyway. I used to feel very reassured by Dad snoring away a couple of doors down. It always meant the burglars hadn't broken in yet, since they would've been rendered deaf and paralysed within seconds.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger One Fly said...

My Dad was notorious for the racket he made. Poor Mom.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Fixer said...

I snore, the wife snores, and the dog snores. I'm sure, on summer nights when we have the windows open, the neighbors want to kill us all. Heh ...

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Catnapping said...

My husband snored so loudly, I'd have to sleep in the next room...with the fan on for white noise.

aaargh.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Ms. Manitoba said...

OK OK [grumble grumble] ... on second thought, I think I'll sic Willy Billy Button on you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home