ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008 Elections: Obama Wows Teh Germans


How many people turned out to hear him speak? The newspapers in Berlin are claiming over 215,000. Nearly a quarter of a million Germans took a day off work to go hear the man speak! Pictures of the crowd, and a few of Senator McAncient at the "Fudge Haus"??? also available at the preceding link. Phenomenal crowd.

Transcript of the speech available here.

Great speech.


Incidentally, Angela Merkel looks a lot happier with the O Man than she ever looked with Farty McLiarpants. Remember when he gave her that unwanted neckrub?

Labels: , , , , ,

Stumble It!

6 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. But I'm so excited about maybe having a president who won't embarrass us overseas and make me cringe when he opens his mouth.

I ask for so little....


(acallidryas @ mouemagazine)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

I know what you mean. Just someone whose clothes don't look like he slept in them, who can string five words into a decent sentence.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Sungold said...

I got to hear this in person, and it was pretty cool, even if the first section of the speech was a bit leaden and obvious to the locals. I don't have any energy to rehash it because I blogged on it at excruciating length earlier today. (This is why I'll never be a big-time blogger: First my camera's batteries crapped out at the event, and then afterward I had to meet a girlfriend for drinks, so blogging had to wait until morning. Pathetic, I know!)

It's been a long time since I didn't feel ashamed to be an American abroad. This was the first time in, well, maybe six years. I didn't necessarily feel *proud* - because after all, nationality is just a cosmic accident of birth - but it was such a relief to not feel embarrassment and shame.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Hi, Sungold,

Have you noticed that, ever since that unwanted back rub, Angie baby has always made sure to keep at least half a dozen people between her and Stupie McFuckwit? Yes, it's a joy not to feel a constant excruciating level of shame and pain when the Leader of the Nation goes abroad.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Sungold said...

I saw the picture of Obama and Merkel, and there was nary an inappropriate touch. I'm sure she was glad not to need extra security to defend her against visiting American dignitaries.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

I still cringe in shame whenever I remember how he grabbed the Chinese premier's sleeve and started tugging. Or the "Yo, Blair!" through a mouthful of bread. I'm sure hundreds of millions of people will feel a massive relief when Chimpy McStupidSon leaves office.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home