ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

FIFTYSOMETHING PINKY-WHITE FEMINIST VOTES FOR BARACK OBAMA


Dear Readers,

The pundits seem to think that all feminists in my category -- fiftysomething and pinky-white-- will devotedly vote for Hillary. Not this one. I have voted for Barack Obama. I’ve mailed my absentee ballot in. I’ve even donated money to his campaign.

He gives me hope more than any other candidate.

I also believe the following:

  • that he is more than capable of leading our country
  • that he will hire and appoint really sharp and forward-thinking people to his cabinet and other important posts in his administration
  • he has fresh ideas that will do so much for all of us in this country
  • his election will change the mood of our country from depressed and angry to one of hope and vigor and it will unite us in many ways
  • this may be one of the most important things ... his election will say something very important to the rest of the world - “We want change and did not agree with the policies that came before. We did not agree with the arrogant attitudes that came before. We want to be a true citizen of the world and not a bully.”

I did not come to this decision easily. I really like John Edwards’ sense of urgency and depth of feeling towards regular working people -- I really appreciate that at a time when so many politicians forget about us.

I struggled with the decision about who would be the right person ... and wondered and read. Gloria Steinem almost convinced me that I should vote for Senator Clinton. But, dear readers, I don’t want to vote for just *any* woman. And that’s what I would have been doing. She’s not my candidate and this last week proved it to me. Bob Herbert of the New York Times summed it up for me.

I feel that the Clintons have taken a page from the King of Slime--Karl Rove. Former President Clinton has gone too far in some of his remarks. I get a sense that he too is desperate to be back in the White House. Well, not on my vote.

And I am very glad that Senator Obama came back at them and fought against their remarks and the remarks of some of their friends. To me, it showed his strength and determination and I respect him for it.

In the last moments, my decision came to this:

He gives me hope more than any other candidate.

I urge you to vote for Senator Barack Obama!

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Smirking Cat said...

It's so irritating that, as a female, I'm expected to vote for Clinton because she's a woman, as if I can't rationalize past her gender. If that's the case, how do men make their choice when all the candidates are male? What dizzying mayhem that must cause...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Ms. Manitoba said...

Hi, smirking cat! Thanks for commenting.

Yes, I find that so very irritating. And also ... the assumption that I'm white so it would be a struggle for me to see how competent Obama is. Argggghhh!!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Friend of TPC said...

How about Obama for President and maybe Edwards for VP. Or maybe Edwards in the cabinet as Secretary of something where he can make a difference in helping working people and the poor. I could go for that.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Sounds good to me. If Edwards throws his delegates to Obama, the two of them united could beat the Clinton machine - which is just way out of control right now. Secretary of Labour Edwards? Head of Department of Justice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home