ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Food - The Eating Plan

Picture from greekfood.about.com
Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's WW for me. All that wonderful cooking and good food was packing on the poundage. If I could walk it wouldn't be so much of a problem - a weekly 5 mile hike would soon put paid to the avoirdupois. Sadly, I'm afflicted by major gimpitude, and may continue to be so until I have my knee replaced.

But! The avid foodie is always on the lookout for tasty AND healthy food. This month, I've made multiple vegetable soups and stews (with almost no fat, or no more than 2 teaspoons of olive or canola oil). I didn't take pix, though I probably should have. I made a chicken vegetable stew with parsnips, carrots, celery, tomatoes, brown rice, dill, parsley, and pinto beans. I made a chicken and chickpea stew with cilantro, turmeric, red chilli powder, fresh chillies, garlic, raisins, and a mirepoix of onions, celery, and carrots. I made a pork tomatillo chilli with black beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, red chilli powder and cumin powder.

But, best of all, I discovered the world's best snack food. Tasty, healthy, low in fat, high in fiber.


Lundberg rice cakes, each topped with 1 tsp. of spicy hummus and 1/2-1 tsp. salsa cruda or Pace picante salsa. It is indeed to die for. Incidentally, you can make hummus at home, although that is rated by WW as double the points value of store-bought hummus (???). Wildwood farms makes an excellent garlicky lowfat hummus. For a good hummus bi tahini recipe, look here. Whole Foods carries many different brands of hummus and salsa, as well as rice cakes.

Labels:

Stumble It!

5 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

You make my mouth water for the soups you've made recently. Did you use recipes? I've been trying to do more soups, too. It's the best way for me to get veggies into my diet.

Your ventures sound wonderfully interesting and nutritious.

I've tried Weight Watchers, but the point counting drives me nuts. I've gone to a website called Sparkpeople.com and you can enter the foods you eat and they compute the calories and the various nutrients.

My sister has done WW, either going to meetings or using the website. She's lost several dress sizes just using the website recently. She does a good bit of business traveling and can't get to meetings that easily.

Another regimen I've been exploring is the South Beach Diet. My doctor o.k.'d that for me because I am diabetic. They work with the glycemic index and that's supposed to be good for diabetics.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

P.S. A dressing recommended to me recently:

Suzanne Somers Green Goddess Dressing

4 green onions, both white and green parts, chopped into 1 inch pieces

1-1/2 cup lowfat sour cream or nonfat yogurt

juice of 2 limes

Mix until smooth consistency in blender.

I added a little mayonnaise because it was a little to limey for my taste. But it was delicious with artichokes. I think it would be a good sauce for lots of different vegetables.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Hi, Sandy! Many thanks for the dressing information! I'm pathetic when it comes to dieting. So giving me a points system works out well. It helps that a recent test indicated high cholesterol levels that my doctor "wants to talk" to me about. And the surgeon says I must drop weight and get my leg muscles in good shape before the surgery. So there's incentive for me to get on it! I'm so sorry to hear that you have diabetes. Can it be managed with food intake control, or are you at the mercy of the medical establishment? I do use recipes, some of my own devising, and let me know if you want them. Chickpeas, for example, are very good for diabetics, as I'm sure you know!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Hi, Political Cat! I'm sorry to hear about your surgery! As an incentive, I guess that ranks up there at the top. I'm glad WW works for you.

I'm able to manage the diabetes with pills and diet, so far. I have several friends who also have diabetes and we'be been trying to work together on it.

One lady is a cooking buddy and we'd both love to try the soup recipes you mention above. If you have time, could you write them down for us? One at a time would be great. Don't go to a great effort. I think chickpeas, as you've mentioned are low on the glycemic index, which makes them good for diabetics.

Thanks so much for your comments.

I love your posts, especially photos of the gang.

Has Bandicoot lost some weight? Looking very svelte in the picture below, unless I'm confused about his identification. You and Lizzy and your more than 922 cats! Hard to keep them straight in my mind.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Hi, again, Sandy! Just a Bandicoot update. Coot's the one on the right (the big fat fluffy one) and Gustav's the one on the left. Yes, you observant person, the Coot has lost about a pound or possibly two. However, he's cleverly lying on a dark surface to make himself look slimmer. He's a very big and heavy boy, and one of my friends nicknamed him "Area Rug" long ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home