ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Barbara Lee Speaks For Me!

MoveOn has done sterling work in marshalling anti-Iraq_War forces and finding a voice for progressives on a national level, but today, over at Skippy's blog, I read a most disturbing account of their support of legislation aimed at the Iraq War.

I'm not flying off the handle on this issue - yet. I need to do more research. But I've always thought of Barbara Lee as one of our most progressive politicians, and the other politicians lined up in her support are - Lynn Woolsey, Maxine Waters, and Dennis Kucinich. I have the deepest respect for Maxine Waters. And Lynn Woolsey has recently been speaking to many issues dear to the heart of progressives. I'm reserving judgment on Dennis Kucinich because I really do not know that much about him.

However, I do plan to contact Speaker Pelosi and Rep. Steny Hoyer, and MoveOn to find out what exactly is going on here. I've always been supportive of Speaker Pelosi, though I was deeply disappointed when she announced that impeachment (of the current bunch of bozos ruining this country) is off the table. I want to see why she is not promoting Rep. Lee's bill.

If you know anything about this debacle, or know where I should look for more information, please! Let me know!

Labels: , , , , ,

Stumble It!

3 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i'll be very honest, i dont' have any further info on moveon or pelosi's refusal to support the progressives in congress.

i was just thinking today, however, that we ought to all call up pelosi's office and warn her that if the dems don't move decisively on iraq they can pretty well expect to lose their majority in the next election...not a threat, just a prediction. people voted them into office to do something about bush, and they've done nothing.

as to moveon, they lost my blind support a couple of years ago when they sent out emails extolling people to buy their book to get it into the #1 spot on the best seller list.

the problem i had with that was that the moveon book was at #2, and the #1 spot was held by wesley clark's book "against all enemies."

i reasoned that trying to knock another progressive off the #1 spot was a waste of my time and theirs, and my respect for them fell greatly that day. (here's my post on it.)

politicalcat, you bet i'll link to you on my blogroll. it may take a couple of days before i get to it, tho.

keep up the good work. i am glad to see people working hard at making democracy work.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger ThePoliticalCat said...

Thanks, Skippy! I've always had a soft spot for kangaroos! Just contacted Barbara Lee's office, I'm off to contact MoveOn. Pelosi and Hoyer next. I plan to update in a couple of days.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Sandy-LA 90034 said...

I have been waffling in my own mind about impeachment. A good friend who has good political instincts (I think) has suggested impeachment would take too much energy away from solving the problems caused by chimpy.

But lately I've begun to realize that there has been such an erosion in the way people think about politics that we may need to be the ones who jolt people off their butts by redressing the situation and calling a spade a spade.

I'm not sure I can articulate it better than that. I know it puzzles me how so many Republicans can be blind to the erosion of our freedoms and the creation of a too strong executive branch that almost seems to be heading in the way of dictatorship.

If people don't get a jolt to make them realize the extent of the damage, I fear we're just going to continue sliding down the slippery slope and the momentum will be too much to stop.

People seem to believe it's o.k. to have a Republican Administration encourage the prosecution of more Democrats than Republicans.

It's frustrating not to be able to find the words to express what I feel. But there you have it. The best I can do for now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home