ThePoliticalCat

A Blog devoted to progressive politics, environmental issues, LGBT issues, social justice, workers' rights, womens' rights, and, most importantly, Cats.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Health news this week

Well, poo. I always knew smoking was addictive, and now I know how addictive. Yes, I'm trying to quit yet again. In my own defence, I smoke two cigarettes a day, sometimes fewer. I never smoke around the cats. But I want to say someday that I do not smoke at all.

Gardasil protects women against human papilloma virus (hpv), cause of genital warts and linked to uterine cancer. Apparently, it also protects against anal and penile cancer in boys. So I don't know why the BBC would spotlight this as a "gay man's issue," since, to the best of my knowledge, the virus doesn't inquire as to your sexuality before it begins its dirty work.

Luverly. As I age disgracefully, the number of threats to my health are multiplying like ... like ... bacteria! Quit laughing. You're next.

Prolactin holds out hope for multiple sclerosis sufferers. Yay. Interestingly, the Harvard School of Public Health says that contraceptive use can also help. Even more interesting, birth month apparently determines one's risk. Mamas, don't get pregnant in the fall or winter.

Puir little beasties. They mayn't be friendly or anything, but this is a horrible way to go. Good to hear that they've got help.

In other news, apparently the number of dog bites has increased over the past decade. Are dogs getting more stressed out by modern living? Or are parents devolving into "too stupid to spawn" types who leave kids and dogs alone together without ensuring that the kids know enough not to irritate the dogs? I grew up with lots of animals, and I can remember being bitten by a dog only once. It was my fault, I was teasing the poor creature with one of my toys, and he finally tired of it. My parents, er, fluffed my cheeks (nether) so mightily that I never teased another animal.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Stumble It!

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger McBlogget said...

There's also a recent Science News article on addiction vaccines. Right no, there's a clinical trial on a tobacco-addiction vaccine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home